Thursday, May 21, 2015

Hello, Allie!

I thought I would've posted more this year, thought that I would've had more to share and say about the trials and tribulations of Allie's first year being Allie at school. I thought that there would've been some tears, a bit of heartache, a few crushing blows. I've never been happier to admit that I was wrong. So completely wrong.

The most noteworthy part of this year: there was nothing noteworthy at all. Allie blossomed. She flourished. She smiled, laughed and learned her way through first grade. She had wonderful teachers cheering her on from the front of their classrooms, loving friends and family on the sidelines who spent the year seeing her for the special girl she is. It was just…magic.

I remember the last day of school last year, when Allie was leaving the pre-school building for the very last time and she said to me, "Goodbye Eli, HELLOOOO Allie!!!!". Hello, Allie, indeed!

Yesterday, there was a class pool party. Allie was excited and I was a little nervous. Mostly because this would be the first time that she was in a bathing suit in front of her entire class and their parents. I just wanted it all to be okay. I didn't want there to be any changing snafus, any wardrobe malfunctions, I just didn't want anything to happen that would raise a skeptical eyebrow.

Of course, (and as usual), my anxiety was unwarranted. When we got there, Allie and her little bestie were laying out their matching mermaid towels and deciding where they would sit together for lunch. I was a little nervous wondering what the moms were thinking about Allie and her bathing suit. But I didn't have to wonder. Because about six of those moms came up to me and told me. They said "Her bathing suit is adorable!", or "She looks so cute!".

When we got in the car, I asked Allie if she had fun and asked her if she had been worried about anything at the party. And I was a little disappointed when she said she had been worried about wearing her bathing suit. I asked her what part of wearing her suit worried her and this was her answer:

"I worried that people would make fun of me. You know, because I have an outie."

How's that for a day at the pool?








4 comments:

  1. Adore this kid. So happy she had a great year being herself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very happy to hear this. Thanks for sharing that things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really happy to hear her story on NPR today in the interviews with family and friends. :-) It gives me hope that things are getting better for this generation and the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your article in the AJC and wanted to reach out to you in support. I transitioned 18 years ago so I am quite disturbed by all that is happening now. For persons to speak of this gender dysphoria as if there was a choice is sad for there is no choice rather it is a matter of surviving. A person who is truly dealing with this condition has only one major desire and that is to have it fixed so one can live a normal life ASAP. Until one deals with this, one do not fit among your friends and peers.

    Yes there are weird folks doing and behaving all kinds of ways under the premise that they feel.....

    But for a true transgender person dealing with dysphoria, you want to be normal just like everyone else including correcting the anatomical issues.

    Your daughter is so fortunate to have parents such as you and as bad as things seemingly are for the moment, she is so fortunate to live in a time when the medical community finally understands.

    I am a leader in our community in West Cobb. I do not speak of it very often as it is old news for me, I just live my life but stand ready to support you and others and answer any questions or just share and listen.

    ReplyDelete